[stylist] John Milton

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Fri Apr 3 01:37:14 UTC 2009

Unless you tell me to stop, stop, stop, I am going to send along the poems
by John Milton that I like.  Here is his luminous and smooth aria on Time:

ON TIME

set on a clock case

Fly envious Time till thou run out thy race
call on the lazie leaden-stepping howres
whose speed is but the heavie plummets pace
& glut thy selfe wth what thy womb devoures
Wch is no more then what is false & vaine
& meerly mortall drosse
so little is our losse
so little is thy gaine
for when as each thing bad thou hast entomb'd
& last of all thy greedie selfe consum'd                             10
then long Aeternity shall greet our blisse
wth an individuall kisse
and Joy shall overtake us as a flood
when every thing yt is sincerely good
& pfectly divine
with Truth, & Peace, & Love shall ever shine
about the supreme throne
of him t' whose happy-making sight alone
when once our heav'nly-guided soule shall clime
then all this earthie grossnesse quit                                20
attir'd wth starres wee shall for ever sit
Triumphing over Death, & Chance, & thee O Time.

Checked by AVG.
6:09 AM