[stylist] New THOUGHT PROVOKER #144- Blindness With Other Conditions

Pat Harmon pharmon222 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 01:05:14 UTC 2009

"I am a juvenile diabetic."  Since childhood, I have attempted to keep it a
secret.  Unlike vampires, I draw my blood.  Like vampires, I do not want to
talk about diabetes at parties, dinners, celebrations and important events.
Like vampires demand blood, I can require sugar.  Few understand.

Listen.  Everywhere you go, diabetes is on the menu.  At fine restaurants or
diners, someone is discussing it.  The topic comes up, and I clam up.  I do
not "care to share!"

Even strangers believe in their right to ask me how much I can see and what
caused blindness.  If I do not respond, I am the rude one or the snob.  If I
tell others, they love telling strangers.

Blindness secrets and personal privacy are difficult to maintain
simultaneously.  I long to keep specific aspects of life a secret.  I
require assistance with billpaying, grocery shopping, banking and
correspondence.  As a divorced woman, I had to learn some skills again,
following that period of dependence which occurs naturally in a partnership.
Even with medicines, information comes in print.  Who should be permitted
into my private life?  I am grateful to live alone, but struggles keep me
developing new techniques.

Who should conduct interviews at rehabilitation centers, whether I am a
diabetic or a vampire?  Who has the right to ask me about my family and
their approach to my disease?  Shouldn't counselors be blind in order to
have some connection to my experience?  Often, sighted men and women are
directors, administrators, teachers and cooks.  Why are there only three NFB
centers nationwide?  Why are blind teachers and counselors still so limited
in numbers?  Why are doctors, nurses, receptionists and assistants so
unprepared for blind patients and clients?  As more blindness occurs, are
more jobs going to become available?  In this economy, that is highly
unlikely.

When I first went to work as a teacher at a residential school for the
blind, the board questioned my ability to be a reliable employee because of
diabetes--not blindness.  I had earned the necessary credentials, but they
questioned my health.  I was hired, but I regretted telling them about the
disease.  The vampire probably regrets giving up that secret.