[stylist] why do chapters?

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Wed Apr 8 05:38:15 UTC 2009

thank you for your thoughtfulness Tami,
and welcome to our list or lists.  where are you located?

your message summarizes the range of chaptering, from a hard-and-fast
quantity to flow, events and change of perspective.

yes I know this is ultimately my preferance, though I suspect some
publishers also have some ideas, and even requirements sometimes.

that's why I posed the question.

yes, you are absolutely correctly, when I am reading in audio format,
chapter break might cue me to a change of perspective, time, or
events.  but indeed for sighted people depending on the type of book,
the new chapter might also come with a page break, too, thus ending
the reading of the previous chapter with a partial page of print and
going on to the top of the next page.  I remember that.  I had low
vision until I was 13.

by way of introduction, I live in lawrence, kansas, grew up in rural
central california.  I've written nonfiction but my heart is really
in writing fiction.  and I haven't found a good label for the kind of
fiction that seems to be attracting my storyminding.

welcome Tami.

jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS