[stylist] When pruning leaves gaps

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Apr 14 04:17:01 UTC 2009

well,
Helene, it depends on your image of the work and the goals you
have.  you may wish to have chapters that jangle the reader, come as
surprises, throw the reader off, or lead down the proverbial rat
hole.  sometimes the work you write is intended and imagined in your
head is a boat floating calmly under sail, much harmony at many
levels.  other times, your story might be running the rapids, dashed
about by a racing stream.  or, it may have a motor and beat the water
with a rhythmic drive and beat up river against the flow with each
inch of progress, spray flying!

as I said, I have trouble pruning, sometimes it feels like it would
be easier to remove a finger, or certainly one of those expendable toes.
jc

Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS