[stylist] Short article=-=- What it Takes to Become a Master Writer

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Dec 4 22:53:33 UTC 2009

Robert,
I think there would be some commonalities, though I'm sure the number of
stages or re writes would probably vary greatly. The first stage would
probably be the same for everyone -- get down your ideas without getting
into thinking too much about the finished product. In other words, just
write. Oddly enough, I think many writers still nneed to be encouraged
to really just let it fly the first time through. It's so easy to think
things like "Ooops, that shouldn't come yet!" "This is way too wordy"

or "Do I really want him to do that?"

One thing I wrestled with a lot when I was beginning the re write
process for my fantasy novel was what not to say. Every description you
give, every explanation you offer is two things. It is information for
the reader and it is a limitation for you the writer. I found myself
caught between the love I had for the way a certain passage turned out
and the recognition that the story would have more suspense if I didn't
say so much up front. One thing I did was to create a Stray Scenes
folder into which I copy all of those scenes and descriptions which I
can't bare to part with but don't really need.

The corrilary to this is making sure that you do give enough information
so that things you will be presenting down the road don't strike the
reader as contrived.

I think fine-tuning the balance between dialog and narrative is as big
of an issue in editing as making the story concise and building the
suspense. I don't see these stages, at least in my own writing, as being
separate. I'm doing a little of each all the time.

One thing I've learned from JK Rowling's example -- well, one of many
things -- is the incomparable value of thinking things through before
beginning to write. I know that stream of consciousness writers just go
with the flow, and I employ that technique oftten, but I already know
the basic plot, the subplot, the back stories of the major characters
and the important landmark scenes along the way to the final resolution.
Rowling was stuck on a train without a pen and paper when she came up
with Harry Potter. She didn't have the "luxury" of writing down her
thoughts, which would have merely slowed her down. I had a teacher once
who used the expression -- and I don't know where this comes from --
that unclear writing is the result of unclear thinking. You can't
overknow your characters or what is going to happen to them.
Donna

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Follow me on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org