[stylist] New THOUGHT PROVOKER 142- Literacy Nightmare

Pat Harmon pharmon222 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 16:10:32 UTC 2009

As blind people, we must believe in our equality.  Good reading skills exist
in print and Braille.  Sometimes they are identical in terms of word attach
skills and word recognition skills.  Accidental reading happens for those
with vision; this does not happen for the blind.  It must be created.
However, the drive for literacy is alive in the print and the Braille
worlds.

Children require role models, practical motivation, time to practice,
parental encouragement and solid teaching techniques.  All children must
observe others reading.  Everyday experiences must involve reading.  Grocery
lists, menus, cards, headlines, tales, commercials and food labels need to
be read.  Parents, grandparents, babysitters, day care workers and school
employees must read.  This happens in some families, but not in all.
Computers are not a substitute for reading.  We proclaim this as fact, but
often we behave differently.  Literacy demands work, for blind and sighted
children.

Facts are often ugly, but we must live in the real world.  Teachers are
imperfect.  If they do not know Braille, tutors must be hired.  Parents and
guardians accept that responsibility in the print world.(I paid a Geometry
tutor for my daughter because she did not understand it.  Nor did I.)  I
believe a strong Braille reader can be an excellent tutor, without being a
certified teacher.

Practice is a necessity.  It is superb hindsight to wish we had mastered
Braille back in elementary school.  Remember your young self.  Adults tell
us we should have made them learn, but they forget how they reacted to the
dots.  Without definite motivation, learning occurs slowly.  Children dream
about lunch, skating, computer games and parties.  They picture themselves
as computer doctors or social service workers, never realizing that reading
can make the difference in employment or lack of it.  Adults must explain
the facts of life about literacy over and over.
That truth concerns blind and sighted children.  Print users are never
automatically terrific readers.

Children using print or Braille can participate in activities designed to
promote reading.  They can read stories to siblings; they can participate in
library programs; they can read magazine articles and fairy tales to the
family.  Texting, talking books and television cannot replace reading.  They
can enhance.

Most of us believe in individuality, but forget that when it comes to
reading.  Without motivation or practice, we expect our children to be great
at it.  It does not matter if it is print or Braille.  Speedreading is
marvelous, but worthless if comprehension is missing.  Modern print and
Braille readers are absolutely in need of written and computerized language.
They must have qualified teachers and family support.  There must be a
special spirit surrounding reading!

I believe that must also live in the minds of those of us who learned
Braille as adults.  Can you possibly come to Braille with enthusiasm and
effort without a love for language?  It is possible, but rare.  Braille
demands time and practice, whether we are thirty or sixty.  Older students
schedule practices, with or without companions.  If reading was, and is, a
valued skill, the rehab client appreciates Braille and what it can deliver
to daily life.

I believe Braille is beautiful and practical.  The blind must dream of a
perfect world where all learn the skills of reading and writing in Braille.
We must demonstrate the desperate need for qualified teachers and successful
programs.  However, we must recognize flaws in all aspects of society.  It
cannot be denied that print users lack perfection, too.  The beauty of
Braille must be emphasized.  The practicality of the code must be
demonstrated.  Over and over, in every corner of the world, Braille must be
taught.  Braille should never be a nightmare!  We, as blind individuals,
must celebrate Braille.  Too many of us speak negatively of this
masterpiece.  "We claim it is too difficult.  We proclaim our touch too
impaired.  The computer is so much more practical.  Braille is
old-fashioned.  My friends make fun of it.  It's too big.  Contractions are
too complicated.)

It is our task to change what it means to be blind, so we never give up on
improving our lives.  Braille is extremely  important , and so we must
continue to prove its value.  If the blind do not endeavor to prove  the
value of our search for perfection in our lives, who will?  If we do not
strive for literacy as a part of each blind individual's life, who will?

Nightmares must end!