[stylist] Next nFB Telephone Meeting 5 days away

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Thu Feb 19 00:20:15 UTC 2009

Angela:

Although a TTY can be connected to a Braille display specially designed for
this purpose, this does not work well.  The software is not good, but even
if it was perfect, there's the problem of the great disparity between speech
and reading speeds.  So forget the TTY.

What I do is use a videophone and call video relay service to get an
interpreter on the screen who can see me.  I use this along with a
communication facilitator who is with me in person, to relay to me what the
video interpreter is signing.  When I sign, the video interpreter will just
watch me and translate into spoken English.

Now, this is what my job is all about.  I hire, train, and coordinate those
communication facilitators that enable deafblind people to use video relay
service, which is the most popular telecommunications option among the
sighted deaf.  In addition to the benefit of this being very fast, there's
the fact that most deafblind people are not very literate in English and so
communicate best through ASL.

One downside is you need to make an appointment for a CF to come over.  So
it's not like just picking up the telephone.  E-mail is king in the
deafblind community, but when we do need to make calls, then using a
communication facilitator is the way to go.

I hope this answers your question!

John