[stylist] word limits

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 03:51:39 UTC 2009

One of the ways of reducing the number of words in an article that is just
too long is to look for ways to combine several words into one.   For example,
"came back" becomes "returned."   Also, I look for anything repetitive and
think about how to eliminate it.   There is a limit on how far you can reduce an
article, but if the need isn't too great, it can be done.   One of the things
that happens when I am preparing Slate & Style (print edition) is that I try to
get an article to end at the end of a page.  This isn't always possible, but
very often I find it can be done.   Sometimes it's a matter of leaving only
one space between sentences instead of the customary two, but usually, I need to
put together short paragraphs, or rewrite a sentence here or there.

I got practice doing this with my journal, when I wanted the entry to be only
one typed page.   As I said, (and here's some repetitiveness), it can't
always be done.
Lori