[stylist] 1 Day Away- Writers' division telephone meeting

Shelley J. Alongi qobells at roadrunner.com
Sun Feb 22 21:47:08 UTC 2009

Probably won't make tonight's meeting I'm hitting a self imposed deadline
for completing a CSUF transcript. I can chime in about how to cut your
writing to fit word limits as I have a lot of experience with that in
accademic circles. If you ever want to publish in peer reviewed journals
I've heard the articles won't even get consideration if you don't have them
in the correct word limit. In my experience when writing papers professors
stop reading after the prescribed number of pages or words. Anyone who has
written for magazines probably knows their articles get more consideration
when put in a word limit. So here are my ideas.

1. Cut the verbage. I mean it. Don't use two words when you can use one.
Don't use any words or sentnences that don't directly express your ideas. In
other words don't go off on tangents. Noone is interested, especially when
word limits are not flexible.

2. Stick to the point. Keep it simple. If you don't work well withoutlines,
write the whole thing out so you can see on paper what's important. Go back
and pick out the ideas you want to emphasize and cut the rest. Once you've
found the main point you want to emphasize it's easy to stay within word
limits because tangent paragraphs and themes are eliminated. Sometimes it
takes a while to fine tune your essay or story but it's worth it in the end.

Those are my ideas. The biggest point is know what you're writing about and
don't get sidetracked. When expressing your ideas on paper to a public that
is bombarded with information, less is more. Writing within word limits can
also demonstrate more dramatically your skill as a writer so don't shy away
from trying it.

If you don't care about word limits get your own web site and write to your
heart's content. Or publish your own hard copy and sell it yourself. I know
people who do that.

Shelley J. Alongi
Your Lifelong Pampered Chef Consultant With Bells On!
Home Office: (714)869-3207
Prepare tasty meals with eas and at $2.00 a serving from the pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/shellbellskit
**
Read articles from the Writers' Division web site including the last issue
of "Slate and Style" with me as editor
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org/slate_style/ss2008_f.shtml

**
To read essays on my journey through Metrolink 111 or other interests click
on
http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowauthorbox.cgi?page=&author=AlongiSJ&alpha=A

updated Dec 7, 2008