[stylist] Good writing-firewood cutting

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Thu Feb 26 00:53:52 UTC 2009

Cute.
However!   Last year David and I were invited to the National Center for the
Blind in Baltimore.   Some of the things we were required to do were:   Bake
brownies under sleepshades; grill meat on the barbecue and operate a chain saw.
  I am not fan of chain saws, so elected to bake brownies under sleepshades
(I wrote a humorous piece about it, which JoAnne Wilson found totally
unhumorous, but that's another story).   David, however, elected to operate the chain
saw.   Dr. Maurer had been taught to do this by Dr. Jernigan, who used to take
blind people into the woods in Iowa to cut firewood for the cozy evening fires
they set in the fireplace at the Iowa Commission for the Blind.   Dr. Maurer
felt, and still feels, that having blind people do this instills confidence.
So on a shelf in our bedroom is a section of a tree (branch) that David
sliced with a chain saw.   I regret to say the brownies have long since
vanished...like I said, another story.
Lori