[stylist] Blind and segregation

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Thu Jan 1 16:14:10 UTC 2009

Segregated schools are definitely a mixed bag.   My husband went to one in
New York.   He had a class of sixteen.   Some of his friends died from retinal
blastoma.   One young man was classified retarded, but when David got to know
him, he realized the boy was simply deaf as well as blind, and forced the
school to reclassify him.   Another classmate was told he could never go to
college.   After he graduated he enrolled in college anyway, and graduated with
decent marks.   David applied for Cornell, and the school never bothered to send in
his grades until he pushed.   Then the school told him they would have
accepted him if the grades had come in time.   Why was the school so nasty?
Because David's mother didn't have money to donate.   Another boy was chosen as
valedictorian even though David's marks were better.   Then there was the boy who
was a discipline problem.   The school tied him to a tree!   Luckily his
mother chose that day to visit.   Even though she freed him, he was so traumatized
he never spoke again.
Still, because he didn't live at home, David had it better than his sibs.
And if he hadn't been blind, he would never have graduated high school, gone to
college and grad school or had a decent career, judging from the paths his
sibs took.
Would he have done better in a mainstreamed school?   Probably not.   But who
knows?   It was sixty years ago.   Schools have changed since then.
Lori