[stylist] does anyone

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Jan 4 03:38:42 UTC 2009

April,
I didn't know he took a position on that.  I get a little squeemish
whenever someone makes a blanket recommendation like that -- as if what
works for one person is the way things should be -- it really irritates
me.  David's wife was sighted, of course, and she was extremely
supportive and helpful to him.  Maybe he felt that he couldn't have
achieved what he did if he'd had a blind wife.

I heard an opposite perspective many years ago when I went for my first
guide dog.  I became friendly with an older blind woman whose husband
was blind.  She warned me to stay away from sighted men.  Her
perspective was that they either use you or they are overprotective.  I
married a sighted man 18 years ago and we are very happy; he is
supportive and just protective enough to be gallant in my eyes.  On the
other hand, my brother, who is also blind, married a blind woman over
thirty years ago and they are very happy.  They got their master's
degrees together, which I attribute to her, since he never seemed to be
inclined on his own.
Donna

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

April Enderton wrote:
> Hi Donna,
>
> Yes, that is thee David Hartman.  How interesting that you interviewed him.
> I wrote him a letter once. My professor in my reading and writing
> autobiography class thought I should send it to him, but never did.  I said
> a lot of positive things in the letter, but I challenged his position on
> blind people marrying other blind people.  He didn't feel that the blind
> should intermarry.  I was really disappointed on his point of view on that
> subject when he seemed to be right on target with so many other things.  If
> I can find that letter and if you would be interested, I can share it with
> you.
>
> April

Database version: 5.11460