[stylist] Question about Story in Slate & Style

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Jan 4 20:07:43 UTC 2009

Hi All,
I have been reading the summer issue of Slate and Style on the web site
and have a comment about Amy's story "War Horse." I think it's a
wonderful story. I enjoy reading about native Americans to begin with,
and this story weaves in so many elements and approaches Barb's
blindness so subtly. I hope Amy will try to get this published elsewhere
as well, but I have a question/suggestion.

In the following passage, I personally don't understand the use of the
word "demise," which means to end or to kill.

This is from the part about Barb's grandmother and their car.
Block quote
Sweat beads soon lined Daisy’s forehead as huge raindrops began to fall.
They grabbed the window cranks simultaneously. But much to Isaac
TwoBear’s demise,
his rolled up on the first attempt. Daisy cranked and cranked, the rain
pelting her as they drove into the center of the downpour, but not so
much as a
sliver of glass emerged. She turned to him, water and sweat dripping
from her nose and said with deadly calm, “Where’s the window, TwoBears?”
Block quote end

To me "chagrin," in its sense of shaming or hurting one's pride,
originally seemed like it would fit more in the scope of the plot. But
even if I substitute it, it doesn't pull the reason for his chagrin into
the sentence and, without re working the two sentences, would make it
seem like he was chagrinned that his own window went right up, when my
impression is that he would be chagrinned that hers didn't. My
suggestion would be to move the chagrin idea to the second sentence.
That way I think would preserve the meaning and increase the dramatic
tension by making the reader wait a second after Isaac successfully
closes his own window.
Donna's suggestion

Block quote
They grabbed the window cranks simultaneously
, and Isaac's window rolled up on the first attempt. Daisy cranked and
cranked, the rain pelting her as they drove into the center of the
downpour, but to Isaac's chagrin not so much as a
sliver of glass emerged.
Block quote end

My apologies, if this has already been discussed.
Donna

--
For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 5.11460