[stylist] Stop signs never change to Go

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Fri Jun 12 21:32:47 UTC 2009

This article has been published in my local paper, in Slate & Style, and
possibly in the Monitor, though I'm no longer sure about the latter.   (It's
been awhile)

Stop Signs Never Change to Go

Loraine Stayer

This is a truth I learned long ago.   Stop signs never change to go signs.
 For as long as you sit and wait, that sign will always say, "Stop!"

Live holds lots of stop signs.   If you think about it, you'll realize
you've clashed swords with them yourself.   There was the teacher, tired after a
day of coping with children, who looked straight at you and said, "You'll
never learn to read!"   But you did.

And your father.   He went out with you to teach you to drive, and after
two harrowing lessons, exclaimed, "You'll never learn to drive!"   But you
did.

Or your mother, cleaning up after you burned supper one day:   "You'll
never learn to cook!"   And you did that too.

I know lots of people who didn't believe the stop signs in their lives.
They did finish their education.   They did marry, and they did have
children, and they are successful.   But these same people were once stopped cold by
stop signs in the form of the expectations of other people.   They were
thoughtful enough to know that though the stop signs had accomplished their
purpose, they were not meant to hold the people back forever, simply to cause
them to pause and examine their direction, or correct their mistakes.

But I also know people who have been stopped cold by such stop signs, only
to stay in place, marking time forever, waiting for the sign to change to
"go." And it doesn't.

I know a young woman of thirty-five who has never been given permission by
her parents to grow up because she is blind.   She will not marry because as
she told her boyfriend, "You have no future with me."   That means, "I have
no future."   Her parents are a stop sign she cannot get past.   She wants
permission from them to learn the skills they have denied her, and that
permission will never come from them.   She will have to go around the stop
sign.   To do that she will have to believe it is possible.   and she doesn't.

I know a man, thirty, withough a profession, who has minimal vision.   He
tells me that because he went to public school and couldn't see the
blackboard, he never understood what was going on.   Ironically, had he been totally
blind, he would have been taught Braille early on, and been given
accommodation in the classroom.   He was told by an authority figure in an agency for
the blind, "You are incapable of learning."   Until then, the agency was a
stop sign for this man.   but the absurdity of the statement brought him up
short.   He knew he was capable of learning.   Hadn't he taught himself
Braille as an adult?   This man will walk around the stop sign.

In order to proceed around the stop sign, one needs to realize that one's
life is one's own, and that one is capable of making decisions without
permission from authority figures.   That stop sign will never change to go!   But
being a sign, it will never do more than just sit there.   Once you walk
past it, what can it do to you?

Slate & Style--Volume 17, #3, August 1999
Merrick Life--October 1, 1987