[stylist] The Great E-Book Experiment:

Allison Nastoff anastoff at wi.rr.com
Mon Jun 15 03:37:54 UTC 2009

On the one hand, I love electronic textbooks.  As a blind college
student, I have already made the switch to electronic textbooks,
but many of them are not available electronically yet, so the
disability services office has to scan them by hand or order them
on tape.  I hope that over time many more books can be made
available in electronic format.  This has sure saved shelf space
and made my backpack lighter.  In elementary school, many of my
books were in braille, which made my backpack load so heavy I
used a suitcase instead of a backpack, which was kind of
embarrassing (smile).
On the other hand, I do think there are some subjects where you
really need to have a hard copy of the book in front of you.
Courses like English or history where it is just reading straight
text, electronic books would be okay, but it seems like it would
be easier to understand the graphs and diagrams of courses like
science and math when you have them right in front of you.  And
in terms of the education of blind children, graphs can not be
read on a computer, at least not that I know of.  (I will be
using a traditional embossed braille book for Statistics in the
fall.) While technology is becoming ever more important in this
age, I still think it is important for children to know how to
use both technology, and traditional books, for general
knowledge, and as a backup system when there are computer
problems.  Maybe use electronic books for high school and
college, but teach children how to use traditional books in
elementary school, and always have traditional books on hand as a
backup.  While I am not against progress, I hope that this
experiment procedes with caution.
Allison Nastoff

CA
>experiment will be closely watched in the UK, which is
considering a similar
>measure.
>See the Times online article
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article