[stylist] The ShellBell Report

Shelley J. Alongi qobells at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 29 02:49:40 UTC 2009

Hi Guys, Thought you'd like to read this. Have a great convention I'm looking forward to next year.

***

Adventure 101

"Chatsworth? That's the San Fernando Valley," said someone, I don't remember who it was, but the implication to me anyway was that Chatsworth is hot. Apparently so. A brief glance at the weather forecast informs me that on Monday June 29 the temperature will be 96 degrees. that means as I prepare for my inaugural trip to the Chatsworth station I will need to carry extra water with me. That means a water bottle or two, maybe a soda for fun, a few granola bars, and maybe some fruit to stave off my enemy: hunger. Yes I picked the day it would be 96 degrees in Chatsworth to go off to the station holding a picture of  a Metrolink engineer to see if I can find people who knew that engineer, Rob Sanchez. Will I get anywhere and what does that have to do with me? Well since I have finally made the memorial plaque for him I figured the next step on my journey was to go out there and see if anyone would be willing to engage me in conversation about him, if they knew him. I've always wanted to go to that particular station, the station where the Metrolink111 pulled out at 4:16 pm on September 12, 2008 and met a Union Pacific freight train LOF6512 at 4:23 pm after that engineer missed what is generally confirmed by NTSB officials to be a red light. Calling out a flashing yellow light which was followed by a solid yellow light, apparently not called out, though officials won't say that the radio transmission might have occurred and gotten stepped on, and then breaking a switch and slamming into the 12 car Leesdale Local, ending his and 24 other lives. Railfans there that day said the light out of the station was green. The conductor said the light was green. Officials say the light was red. It was a fatal light and was, apparently, a train which was met every day around the same time.

So what's my interest in all this? You can read about it in my essays if you want to know the reasons. I'm headed out there to see if anyone knew him and if they might have an idea about who might accept this memorial plaque. Tonight I will do some research to see if anyone has done any more work on memorial plans for the accident victims. I doubt if anyone has done anything for the engineer. There were plans in the works several months ago, but I haven't caught up with them since I was focused on not missing any work so I wouldn't exceed my points and lose my job and so that I could work enough hours to get vacation time: time which started Friday at noon when I was released early. I put myself on the ER list and finally after weeks of asking, was told I could go home since there were enough people there to handle the calls. the ER list is a voluntary thing and once in a while I take advantage of it.

The idea for going to Chatsworth has always been in the back of my head and I figure that if I don't find anyone who knew him or anyone willing to talk, it will be another place to watch trains, and I can do that now that I have two weeks of free time. I said I wouldn't do any serious research on where we might put this plaque till I had it in my hand. Currently that plaque hangs here on the wall above the computer in the office. Where it will sit later I can't even imagine.

Yes, I've been through the chatsworth station at least four times but this will be my first time to get off there. If I can't find anyone who will talk I could at least have dinner there and take my journey home After all this is my vacation I can spend it how I like. Tomorrow it's all about Chatsworth.

So that starts my first official adventure. There will be more in the next two weeks. I'll watch trains, read books, go to the dentist (that's a real adventure), celebrate a birthday, and perhaps also meet the woman who gave me Rob Sanchez's picture. In my own way and style I'll keep you informed.

That's all from the cat castle today. the cats are happy I'm home or maybe they're just happy they have food. I'm happy. For here, for now, life is good.

Till we meet again in person or online, keep dreaming!

Shelley, Pearl, and Brandy

Shelley J. Alongi
Home Office: (714)869-3207
**