[stylist] just wanted to share, from yesterday's chapter meeting

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Sun Mar 1 23:21:30 UTC 2009

That's great, Jim. What a cool kid!

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of James Canaday M.A. N6YR
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:46 PM
To: NFBnet Writer's Division Mailing List
Subject: [stylist] just wanted to share, from yesterday's chapter meeting

Dear friends,
yesterday afternoon was our monthly chapter meeting, delayed one week from
the usual saturday because of Kansas University basketball.

five of our members were out being ill or caring for ill loved one!  so only
three of us adult members were present and I as vice president presided.
one of the members, Bob, is a father of an eight-year-old boy who is totally
blind named Luther.  Bob brought books and toys for Luther, but he ignored
them.  instead, he sat up at the table and participated like the rest of us.
Once he said "NFB isn't really for Kids, though, like me, is it?"  to which
I replied that he is as much a part of NFB as I am.  he later talked about
JAWS on his computer, and participated in our discussion of the "braille
invasion" for the last saturday of April.  that event, we will spread out
across Lawrence and publicly read braille, either aloud, or silently, armed
with brochures to hand out including those on the Louis Braille coin.  he
was talking about sighted people and their responses to seeing him reading
Braille.

This was delightful.  never once did Luther pick up a book or a toy, he was
too busy taking part in the meeting.  I just wanted to share this very
gratifying event with you all.  I think Luther has learned to be a
Federationist.  he and his parents and sister attended the convention in