[stylist] question

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Mon Mar 23 17:38:06 UTC 2009

Helene:

The term sighted wannabe is not clear.  It could very easily mean a sighted
person who wants to be blind, because "wannabes" are sometimes used for
those in the mainstream who want to join a minority--like whites who want to
be black, city clickers who are cowboy wannabes, nerds who are biker
wannabes, and so on.

As for ablest, I was unaware of this term.  But the Deaf don't use it,
because they don't believe deafness is a disability to begin with.  So
they'll stick with audist, and besides it was coined a long, long time ago,
before I was born.

Hey you all, do you want to use ablest or something else more specific to
the blind community?

Ablist, to me, sounds rather weak.  The word needs to be a bit more gruff.