[stylist] question

John Lee Clark johnlee at clarktouch.com
Wed Mar 25 05:04:26 UTC 2009

Angela:

Can you share with me the issues surrounding the blind word for potential
new members?  I find this baffling.  Don't they know that blind is hip?
Don't they crave to be more blind, to meet the blind ideal?

If you visited Gallaudet University, the Deaf college, you'll see many, many
mainstreamed deaf students coming in and they quickly understand what the
Deaf ideal is and they scramble to learn to sign better, to act more Deaf,
so they can have better social positions and get in the hottest
fraternities.  They learn very fast what's what.

So our organizations don't have any problems with the word Deaf.  It's a
desirable label for many.

But it's probably easier to indoctirinate the mainstreamed deaf students
because their lives at school were horrible.  Lonely, interpreters their
only friends, parents can't communicate, all of that.  So they'[re only too
glad to move on.

But blind students, they get more deeply snared, I suppose,  So it may be a
far more delicate matter to get the stupid hooks out of their minds, huh?

John