[stylist] reading lips

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 21:03:16 UTC 2009

If a deaf person has had early education as a hearing person learning
spoken language, and proceeds to lose her hearing, then reading lips is an
alternative.   If not, she can still learn, but it is much harder.   Have had some
discussions with the hard of hearing / deaf on this subject.

When I am in a noisy place, and the person I'm talking to covers her lips,
I have trouble figuring out what she is saying.   Recently, a woman with her
top teeth lacking and I were talking, and I could barely understand her,
though when we were in a quiet place, I had no trouble.   But I am a hearing
person, with perhaps a touch of a problem.

A profoundly deaf person may read lips, and she may not.   It's not easy at
the best of times. So the answer is, most deaf persons probably don't read
lips, though some can.
Lori