[stylist] reading braille

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Tue Nov 17 19:27:13 UTC 2009

Now if you can get your hands on grade 1 text of something you know well,
mix up those letters and try figuring them out.
Do you know by heart the dot positions in all the letters?  If you don't
know them, commit them to memory.  The tactile picture of a j is going to be
hard to keep in your head because you'll be scrambling to try to remember
what letter it is.  But if you know that 2-4-5 is a j, everytime you see
that dot combination you'll remember.
Kids learn Braille a whole lot different than grownups.  Some of the letters
do sort of look like their print counterparts.  L looks like a small l and p
looks similar to p.
I know two sets of the hardest to remember are e and I, and d, f, h, and j.
Remember that k to t are just a to j with a dot 3 added to them.  U to z are
a to e with dots 3 and 6 added.  W is a wildcard because there is no
equivalent in French so it was just thrown in for good measure.
You may already know these tricks but if not, store them away.
If you lived near me I would surely help you.
Feel free to write offline if I can be of any more virtual help.
Barbara

Snow is God's way of reminding us that beauty can be found even in the
coldest hearts.