[stylist] reading lips

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:52:17 UTC 2009

Lori,
You are right that for a completely deaf person to rely exclusively on
lipreading is not realistic. Most people who lipreading do have
hearing although some have very little of it. I know a woman with a
profound loss who lipreads but she says without her hearing aids she
can't lipread so well. That's because only about 20 per cent of what
is said can be seen on the lips. HOH people can combine their limited
hearing with lipreading skills so they can be quite good at it but
most lipreaders do have some useful hearing to go by.

As for teaching hearing children signing, there is something called
baby signs. Some parents of hearing babies have found that their
babies can learn to communicate through sign before they learn through
speach. I'm all for it.

There is another way for a deaf and a hearing child to communicate
though and that is via pen and paper.

Helene