[stylist] reading lips

Judith Bron jbron at optonline.net
Tue Nov 17 21:13:38 UTC 2009

A baby unable to communicate is frustrated.  I know that among the hearing
baby population when a baby is cranky we often wish out loud, "If only you
could tell me what's wrong."  If they could tell you what hurts, if they're
still hungry, wants more action in their life etc.  I know that older babies
can point to an ear or throat to indicate that it hurts, but that is not
very often.
The funniest one I've seen came by way of my 18 month old grandson.  His
mother asked him to give her his pacifier one day.  He gave the room a
cursory glance and looked at her with that "I don't know" look.  Then she
repeated her request and he looked under the couch.  She repeated the
request and he didn't move.  She knew he knew where it was because he had it
in his mouth a few minutes earlier.  Finally she began to count.  "1, 2, 3
the next number is..."  He knew what was coming.  He put out his hand for
the lightest of love taps which meant his mother wasn't pleased.  I cracked
up.  This little kid knew she would tap his hand, but he wanted to save her
the problem of requesting his hand.  Kids are sure getting smarter!