[stylist] costumes

LoriStay at aol.com LoriStay at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 17:53:35 UTC 2009

It's mostly the children who do this of course.   They dress as Esther, or
Haman, or Ahashverus (king, and Esther's husband) or Mordechai, and vie for
prizes at synagogue sometimes.
I'm not sure there's a reason particularly except to get the kids
interested in the story and the holiday.   We also give "Shaloch Manot," which
consists of a basket with a couple of items of food, often home baked, but just as
often things like chocolate or licorice to other Jewish neighbors.   This
represents giving charity, though the neighbors aren't poor.   It's a good
will guesture, mostly.
Lori