[stylist] Tell me What You think of my Character

Shelley J. Alongi qobells at roadrunner.com
Wed Sep 9 04:09:45 UTC 2009

Jim, Hi, I enjoyed your comments on my character, Streicher; very observant.
I agree with the cold, clammy hands fitting, they do show anxiety and you
picked up on it. He is an engineer you picked up on that, he does have a
history with Judy and that's what the story is about, how it develops. This
is kind of the midpoint we can't have a story without this. The physical
description is pretty much right on, we discover later that he is tall, he
is big, not especially athletic, but well built is a good general
description. The idea about flirting struck me, I had meant it in the way of
love, he does love trains they are his life in a way, but Fred, I actually
overlooked that; FRET it should be, not Fred. FRET is an acronym whose full
explanation I won't put here because of the explicit use of language, but
it's a railroad worker's term for the end of the train which no longer holds
a caboose, it is the light at the end that says it's the end of the train.
The sentence should be There was FRET, the lights flirting with me. Flirting
does signify his attachment to trains, good catch. I wasn't sure if it was
obvious that he is an engineer though I tried to make it obvious by saying
"Judy Flower, she knew everyone on all my trains" and the references to
passengers on his morning run. Your first reading would be correct if Judy
meant to cut Glen off at the telling of the story, but she's the perfect
girlfriend for him and she understands that he can't tell her the entire
story right now I perhaps should make that a little clearer, he says that
the story makes him feel sick so there's an implication that he doesn't want
to tell it, but he will tell it later after counselling. Good points. I'd be
interested in why you think the idea of the cold, clammy hands fits him. He
is anxious. he uses those hands later in the story to build things so
they're not always cold and clammy though they are important to his
character. Thanks for taking the time to coment I'd like to know if you have
other ideas. I'll send chapter 2 in a few days in case someone else has any
Shelley J. Alongi
Home Office: (714)869-3207
**
NFBWD "Slate and Style" editor
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org

**
To read essays on my journey through the Chatsworth train accident,
Metrolink 111 or other interests click on
http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowauthorbox.cgi?page=&author=AlongiSJ&alpha=A

updated July 2, 2009