[stylist] barb's sci-fi thinking

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Tue Sep 15 20:30:48 UTC 2009

Dear Barb and friends,
talking with you about telling oneself a story to fall asleep set me
to thinking, a very dangerous thing.  you were talking about star
trek.  some of the computer facilities in the original series, I
remembered too.

what if this were invented: a device, maybe call it "the author's own
hand" and it writes as you think.  you tell yourself the story, you
include the imagery, the dialogue, and as you thinkit, it is exactly
recorded by this device.  the device might have a few parts: a cap
you put on your head; a box or computer cpu type unit that receives
and translates the E.E.G. signals, translating them into the story as
you think it.  then of course the system would have a printer, or
braille embosser and a monitor for the visually impaired.

imagine someone has that, using it, gets quite used to it.

trouble is, it just records everything as the author's mind goes.

I thought of several potential plot twists: perhaps author forgets he
or she is connected, does a few things, then moves to plotting a
crime.  plotting that crime is entirely recorded just as if it were a story.

or, if the cap is wireless, Barb you like romance, and she forgets to
take it off, and her husband comes home from a long trip and well ...
um, they're awfully glad to see each other.

or, maybe the author forgets the cap is on, and in his or her day job
is an analyst for the CIA.  and the mind just returns to top secret
material, processes it.  but the author doesn't realize its been recorded.

I also could imagine in a sci-fi way that the cpu/box  programming
might have a problem and start feeding back to the author.  so, the
author's actual  life might start to resemble a story creation.

like I said, that comment from Barb  started me thinking.  what if
I'd been wearing the cap?  oh gee, you'd have several pages to wade
through, probably get bored and delete the message after twenty or
thirty lines!
lol
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.