[stylist] need inspiration

James Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Sat Sep 19 06:51:40 UTC 2009

Dear Allison,
please don't be so quick to discount your own experiences as being
"childish."   first, we all have been children, so that actually can
be a positive for your story.  if you are indeed writing about a
child or a young person, then all of us have been there.  you contact
truths we all have in common, experiences we all can share.  then,
you take those and braid them into something unique.  did something
happen when you were singing in the choir that made you laugh?  or
something that happened that made you cry?  was there a moment during
your time singing in the choir that you felt the presence of God most
particularly?
a moment like one of those could make a wonderful story.  was there a
mixup one day with a choir rob?
once my wife was singing in a church choir.  this church was not so
formal and all the  choir members  had cups of coffee or tea which
they brought up into the high choir loft up behind the seated congregation.
my wife was in an animated conversation, and by the way she is blind
and a soprano.  she waved her hand and swept her coffee cup off the
choir loft rail in front of her, and the cup fell most of a story
down to the fround behind the seated congregation.  in those days or
at that church, the cups were porcelin and not covered.
incredibly, her cup landed right side up, and not a single drop had
spilled from it!

Allison, you have many wonderful experiences.  was there something
you learned through hard work?
I'm sure you can write a seven page story.
good luck,
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS