[stylist] Abortion argument leads to murder

helene ryles dreamavdb at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:43:03 UTC 2009

Abortion argument leads to murder (9-27-09)

Shelby County Sheriff's deputies say a pregnant Arlington woman was
murdered by her boyfriend after the couple had argued about an
abortion.

Sheriff's Deputies in Mufreesboro, Tennessee, caught the man they
believe is responsible for murdering the woman. Tarence Nelson, 26, is
being brought to the Shelby County jail to face double murder charges.

It's an experience neighbor John Ingram says he'll never be able to
erase from his memory.

"There was a bullet wound in the side of her stomach, one in her
chest, one it looked to be in the back of her head. There was so much
blood you couldn't tell," he said.

In an exclusive interview, Ingram told Action News 5 that the
harrowing night began around 10:00 p.m. Friday when he noticed a man
leave the home of his neighbor, Tonya Johnson.

Johnson's garage door was open, something Ingram said was out of the
ordinary for the 35-year-old school teacher.

Ingram and his wife decided to check on Johnson, who was eights months
pregnant.
"My wife looked through the front glass of the door and said, 'she's
on the floor,' " he said.
Ingram says he called 911 and went inside Johnson's house.

"911 said 'Roll her over and start CPR.' We rolled her over and she
was bleeding out of her mouth, just everywhere. My son-in-law and
another neighbor started CPR."

Shelby County Sheriff's deputies quickly arrived, along with a helicopter.

"They worked on her trying to keep the baby alive, but it was too
late," Ingram said.

Witnesses told detectives that Nelson was the father of Johnson's
child, and that he wanted her to have an abortion, but she refused.

Ingram says Nelson's intent to kill the child was obvious by her wounds.

"It looked like he was intent on killing both of them," he said.

Detectives agree. Nelson will be charged with double murder.

"I think it should be a double homicide, the baby was ready to come,"
Ingram said.

Before Nelson moved to Murfreesboro, he lived in Memphis. He was
previously arrested for theft and traffic charges.