[stylist] Carmella's Quest now available through NLS

Carmella D Broome cdbroome at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 30 22:28:50 UTC 2009

Hi, I wanted to let everyone know that my book, Carmella's Quest: Taking On College Sight Unseen, is now available   through NLS. It is read by  me, which as far as I know, would make it the first book in the NLS collection that a blind author has recorded personally for inclusion  in  the catalog of books available in audio format to NLS patrons. If you are an NLS patron, you can request it through your state's library through interlibrary loan. It was recorded by me in the studios of the  SC Talking Book Services at the SC State Library.  I went in and did the final edits a few weeks ago and  listened to the recording last week.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I'm glad it is now available in recorded format  for those who are also blind and unable to read print.

As y'all   know,  Carmella's Quest is about my first year at North Greenville College, a small Baptist school in upstate SC.   It is set during the 1994-1995 academic year. I describe my  friendships and romantic relationships, academic challenges, and what it was like to be the only  blind student on campus.  I talk some about having ROP and being someone who was  partially but not totaly blind and my struggles with  wanting to  "just be normal" and "like everyone else."  So far, the book has  been well received by blind and sighted readers. I  think  I have done a good job of  balancing blindness related stuff with the other more universal experiences and emotions that people, blind  or sighted,  can personally relate to. CQ was released in  February of this year and is published by Red Letter Press of Columbia SC.
http://RedLetterPress.GooglePages.com.
It can be purchased from Red Letter Press or through Amazon.com. Autographed copies are only available through the publisher.

If you do read it on cassette or through digital download, I'd love to hear what you think of it. It is also available for download through bookshare.org and I think electronic copies are available  for purchase through  my publisher, as well.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at
Carmella'sQuest at hotmail.com

My Carmella's Quest blog for more info is at
http://CarmellasQuest.LiveJournal.com

Feel free to circulate this info to any other blindness related lists or groups you belong to.

Best to all,
Carmella

Carmella Broome, Ed.S., LPC, LMFT/I
Crossroads Counseling Center