[stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Thu Apr 22 23:59:50 UTC 2010

that's right Judith,
there is a lot of fiction I choose not to read for various reasons.
as to "aligning myself"  well, if I am writing about a criminal, I
want that characterization to be believable and fit who the character
is.  if I write about a criminal I am not aligning myself with
criminality and I'm not a criminal because I depict a criminal.
if I write a story about a marine caught in one of the deadly battles
for a pacific island against the japanese in world war two, I'm going
to have to include some of the hell of war, and depending on that
marine's character, I'd need to give him salty language, perhaps he
has more than one girlfriend, etc.  and, that marine might well be
the hero of the story.
jc