[stylist] Critiques and Writing Prompts

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 02:37:23 UTC 2010

Joe and Jim and others-

I as the president of the Division basically take the same stance as Jim on
your question, Joe. That is, just as with NLS books and with our movie
industry, we who make content available, we know audiences differ in what
they like and will feel is appropriate for the general market. And so, just
as the movie and Television industry will do, we will ask that a author who
wishes to post their work on STYLIST or Writers' Chat, that if the content
has any violence or other potentially graphic scenes, that you warn the
reader at the top of the message. and this is not to say, that we now are
saying that it is acceptable to start posting some real racy porn or blood
splattering gut twisting stuff. But let's be open and reasonable. And know
that if any one person goes over the acceptable limits, then they will be
respectfully communicated with and asked to modify what they post and if
that person goes over the line three times, --- well, then I'd start to
wonder what is really going on and I would ask that person not to post their
work.

Hey --- and so has the elected leader dude spoken. You all know I try to be
a fairly liberal influence and regulator. And yes, I will listen to all
sides. but you all pay me the big bucks to make something's happen and so we
do need to cover this issue.

thank you all

Robert Leslie Newman
President NFB Writers' division