[stylist] Writing Prompt #1: Tapping the Source

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 25 17:23:23 UTC 2010

All right, here's mine (no warning needed):

One of the best books I've read recently is Creepers by David Morel. The
story concerns a journalist following a bunch of urban spelunkers as they
explore an abandoned hotel.

I liked the fast pacing; once the action starts it doesn't stop. The main
character is complex and likeable , and we learn slowly that he is not what
he seems. Morel could have went for the obvious haunted house angle, but he
doesn't, so I appreciate the thought he put into the story. The author also
uses ominous sounds and imagery to great effect.

Neil