[stylist] please help with kinks

Neil Butters neil.butters at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 29 18:47:25 UTC 2010

Hello Bridgit,

I’ll give you some feedback, but first I should tell you I am not familiar
with creative nonfiction and its conventions. Some of what I say may not
apply.

The work had a particular resonance with me as I attend an evangelical
church. I am not a member though, for some of the reasons you mentioned
(e.g., views on homosexuality). For this reason I found it interesting. I
liked the imagery, the vividness of the words, especially in the first few
paragraphs. However, I thought it was a bit unclear. You don’t explain
clearly why you despise the church. It sounded as if religion changed your
father for the good, and your beef is with one guy, the pastor. You
mentioned that you are unsure why you are dissatisfied, but maybe you should
speculate or summarize the reasons in a concluding paragraph. But not the
last paragraph. I like the one you have now; it is positive and reassuring.
It didn’t seem to trail off to me.

Some grammar and style concerns:

“…highway, and the crunch of snow under foot.”
*I don’t think this needs a comma, although I don’t know if it is wrong.

“For ten years my family gave their life to this church.  For ten years my
family was trampled on and eventually spit out.”
*My immediate thought is the following: Why did you stay for ten years if
you were trampled on all the time? Perhaps you should explain briefly why
you stayed.

“I stand here now wishing to burn this abomination to the ground.”
*To me, this sounded as if you had a gasoline can in hand and were ready to
do the deed.

 “The only audio cue …”
*Sighted readers won’t know what is an audio cue.

 “Growing up Christian does not mean I escaped witnessing my mother’s lust
for the material and my work-a-holic father to
busy to watch his children grow.”
*This sentence is  a bit jarring. You might try for some parrallelism here:
“…witnessing my mother’s lust for the material and my father’s devotion to
work, to busy …” Something like that.

“The wiggle of questions finally wormed their way to the surface though….”
*This paragraph almost seems misplaced. You want to burn the building to the
ground. Why? I don’t think it’s because you don’t agree with their views.
Maybe this paragraph could go elsewhere, or you could change it a bit. Maybe
edit it and combine it with the following paragraph. That paragraph makes
more sense; you are frustrated and disgusted with their two-headedness.

“A man steps to the podium as the crescendo of the music begins its
 descent.”
*You can simplify this to something like “A man steps to the podium during
the decrescendo of the music.”

“eventually he was asked to perform weddings and funerals.  My dad is
well-respected in the community.”
*You might consider starting a new paragraph with the “My dad is …”
sentence. It didn’t seem to be a logical progression from the previous
sentence.

“My dad is well-respected in the community.  The Friend, well he has grown
jealous and spiteful.”
*Did you mean that your dad gained respect while the other guy just grew
spiteful? Or was your dad always respected?

“The compound-like church sits on the western end of town.  I always hated
the building.  It is dark and no light enters.”
*The meaning is a bit unclear. Is the church dark now? During worship? Is
this why you hate it?

“My dad finally stepped out on the infamous faith I was always told about.
“
*Are you sure the right word here is “infamous?” I thought you were always
told the faith was good and right.

“The Pastor paced the stage like a tiger looking for his next prey.”
*This is a bit confusing because I don’t know when it happened. Perhaps you
should try “The pastor would pace the …”

“and accepted even if home life was rocky.”
*You might want to give an example of the “rockiness” here; this might be a
case of telling rather than showing.

“My parents hang from the ropes of their faith even though they are
constantly knocked down.”
*Maybe I’m just unfamiliar with the phrase, but isn’t being hanged from a
rope bad? It sounds as if your parents were being strangled, held against
their will almost. If this is so, then the “even though…” part doesn’t make
sense; you are saying the same thing twice.

“Isn’t this what Jesus taught? To love one another.”
I think the second statement should also be a question, or the question
should be changed to a statement: “This is what Jesus taught, to love…”

Some of the paragraphs near the end are fairly long. Consider shortening
them. I think for most of them you can just simply start a new paragraph.

Overall, I thought it was compelling and interesting. I enjoyed it, and I
think others will as well.

Neil