[stylist] tonight's teleconference

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Mon Aug 2 22:12:00 UTC 2010

Lori,
I got serious about writing when I was 13, and just never stopped.

---so, that's when the elf and the fairy kidnapped you and stole you
away for a stay in the valley of the forgotten beyond?

lol.

I enjoyed moderating the discussion of this.
for me: I wanted to write even in high school but was not confident
or prepared enough to do much.  I certainly enjoyed reading fiction.
I didn't share this last night: I had low vision like 20/200 in only
my left eye until I was 13 years old.  to that point of course it was
the pointless "sight saving" philosophy and I had to read using
cumbersome lights and magnification.  once I became blind, it was
like being let out of prison.  I read and read and read.  it was
braille and audio.  I say that I was able to go to college because I
became completely blind and then I could really read.
so with reading and enjoying fiction I learned about it and liked it.
In college I got some wonderful writing skills.  when you are in the
college of letters and sciences you are taught to write.

as a student therapist, my supervisors said that my clinic reports on
clients often read more like short stories.  they may not have meant
that as a compliment in that context.
so now with a major health issue I cannot work an 8 to 5 job.  I have
wished I could write since I was a teen.  I often am writing
nonfiction and political comment items and I like that writing.  but
when my duties as a caregiver allow me to focus I'd prefer writing fiction.

jc