[stylist] Blindness and photography

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Aug 8 15:20:51 UTC 2010

Peter,
Bless you. This is right on and well-stated. I too worked as a
streetsinger. I sang in Philadelphia's Suburban Station and at Penn's
Landing year-round for over 13 years. There were some people who
objected to that. Although there is a rich history of excellent blind
street musicians, apparently some blind people feel that it is only OK
to be a troubadour if you're sighted. Incidentally, my work led to many
non street jobs. In schools I actually got to talk about blindness
issues and help bridge the gap of misunderstanding and fear in the
sighted world. I also produced 3 albums, wrote a book and was chosen as
the subject of an independent film.

I hope you are still pursuing your dream. Nobody blind or sighted should
be stepping on other people's dreams. When it happens within the
blindness community, it always reminds me how true it is that we are
just like everyone else -- in this case, that's a shame.
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org