[stylist] Blindness and photography

BDM lists at braddunsemusic.com
Mon Aug 9 16:55:05 UTC 2010

Since you asked about opinions Robert :). In response to someones
recent post. I too am not a nay sayer, optimistically an optimist :),
and also an encourager and not complainer by nature. So  the
following comment is meant to be taken in that light. I don't quite
understand the point of it being a mockery as a blind photographer,
professional or just someone clicking pics for a visual journal of
their own or loved one's lives. I agree with the breaking news of
fried potatoes thing, that's just folks exposing a lack of mature
insight, or being able to actually think things passed the shallow
threshold of being amazed we breathe on our own. But I'm not getting
the mockery thing or how could taking pics as a blind person really
make us happy or be enjoyable. I think it is a matter of the
perspective of the reasons "why" we do what we do. If I can take a
picture and regardless if I'm blind or not, it makes one say, "What a
cool shot that is, I've been to that place?" Or "That is just a cool
sunset shot", and they enjoy it,  isn't  that what it is about? I
write  songs and perform them and yes I do like the process, I enjoy
it for what it is, but what makes me write is to  try to evoke some
emotion in a listener, take them on a mini-emotional trip. I know
there are people who sing better, play better, write
better,  entertain better, just like they might center an object
in  a pic or what not better but that's OK with me. My drive as a
writer is to let others enjoy or feel. They show their appreciation
and I enjoy that in return. It isn't about my playing, writing or
singing, its what it evokes from others that matters to me and drives
me to continue.  My wife is no photographer she basically puts
whatever she's taking a picture of  in the center of the screen and,
bam, clicks it and its done. Yet she got really good composition
comments  from a professional photographer on one of her pics. She
doesn't even know what that is.
And I don't wish to beat this example to the ground as I'm sure we've
all heard it a thousand times if  even once,  but it is relevant .
The deaf musician who plays xylophone or whatever it is, in an
orchestra. She in no way has the same enjoyment perspective as we do,
but she enjoys it in her own way that matters to her and she's living
the dream she wants regardless. Isn't that what it is all about?
Probably more  applicable are blind web designers, beats me how they
do it but they are out there, I can't do it, but that isn't my dream
either. If we  wish to be seen as just people minus a label, we need
to be secure in ourselves enough to allow us to be who we are  as
well. There is much more to the picture than  pressing a button,
there's the  people you get to meet while taking it, there is the
vacation you are on, the triple story house of cards that is about to
blow over if a flea jumps on it before you can snap its proof of
existence... whatever. People want to do things because of the
feeling it gives them, how are we to question the  origin of that
feeling in whatever they decide to use as a vehicle. *smile*.

Brad