[stylist] Blindness and photography

loristay loristay at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 16:56:23 UTC 2010

Amen, Pete.
Lori
On Aug 7, 2010, at 11:02:27 PM, "Peter Donahue" <pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From:   "Peter Donahue" <pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net>
Subject:    Re: [stylist] Blindness and photography
Date:   August 7, 2010 11:02:27 PM EDT
Hello Elizabeth and everyone,

This reminds me of the reaction I got from some blind individuals I knew
in Massachusetts when discussing the possibility of blind persons becoming
guide dog instructors. These same people often criticized me for working as
a street musician rather than "being more gainfully employed." It was their
attitude, their unwillingness to explore possibilities, and being
unsupportive of my dreams and life goals that put myself and a few others on
the streets to begin with.

Not all of us are cut out to be writers or photographers but for God
sakes if a blind person chooses to become a guide dog trainer, a
photographer, a writer, or whatever let's support them and quit trying to
steal their dreams! I sent a message similar to this one to the NABS List
earlier this past week concerning a discussion of blind drivers. We're
federationists and our imaginative spirit and can-do attitude needs to shine
through at all times.

Peter Donahue