[stylist] Blindness and photography

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Aug 9 17:17:01 UTC 2010

Joe,
If photos are to be used solely by the blind/visually impaired
photographer -- those of us who have some usable vision and simply want
to see things in what is often a better format than reality, because we
can stare at it for a long time and /or blow it up and change the
contrast --  then, no sighted help is needed to judge the quality of the
photo. Sighted help, I believe is useful in learning to aim and operate
the camera to begin with, and in the cases where a blind person wants to
share the photos with others. As Peter points out, he had sighted
assistance in checking photos prior to posting them on the division
website. With the low cost of taking digital photos and the fact that
you can e-mail them to your relatives, you can either count on them to
weed out the duds -- and sighted people have more duds than good ones --
or have a trusted sighted friend review them prior to using them. I
certainly don't suggest that anyone start sending out photos to
publishers as the art work of a blind person, for instance, without
having plenty of sighted opinions.

Two final points ... There's nothing wrong with wanting to see things or
acknowledging that visual imagery is hugely important in the sighted
world. There's also nothing wrong in "needing" sighted assistance.
Sometimes, I think we forget that people in general seek, value and
indeed need the opinions of others, be they sighted or blind.
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:
www.suite101.com/profile.cfm/donna_hill
American Chronicle:
www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org