[stylist] An autobiographical piece that was accepted ... for better or worse

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Aug 16 19:00:51 UTC 2010

Hi Friends,
Since we've been talking about autobiographical writing, I thought I'd
share a piece I recently wrote for a book by Richard Singer on embracing
the present. He asked me to contribute something after reading something
else I wrote. I had less than 30 days to do it, and re reading it now, I
would change some things, but he is including it in his book. First
person isn't my strong suit by any means. So, as an example of the genre
and for your comments on how I might make future things better, I will
copy it below.
Cheers,
Donna
***

Word count: 1198

Satori Green

By Donna W. Hill

"All is illusion: let it go, and all is in order: let it come; in India,
enlightenment (/Samadhi/) with the eyes closed; in Japan, enlightenment
(/Satori)/ with the eyes opened."

Joseph Campbell, _The Masks of God: Oriental Mythology_ (Penguin, p 29)

Sometimes, a word -- especially an uncommon one -- grabs our imagination
and holds on for dear life. Embracing it, we find an ethereal talisman,
a guardian of the heart.

When I first read the above quote, I was stopped in my tracks. All is in
order, let it come ... /Satori/ ... with the eyes open. This was not the
first time I had come face to face with the idea of embracing the
present. I was already captivated by Verdandi, the Norse goddess of the
present. Satori seemed to go hand in hand.

In the '80s while pursuing my music career in Philadelphia, I studied
the Alexander Technique -- a method of movement re education -- and Tai
Chi. Both disciplines emphasized cultivating an awareness of the
present. Centering myself in the moment and being aware of my
surroundings would help me respond to whatever came along.

But, my fascination with the present was not merely a quest for physical
grace and poise. It was the answer to the most profound challenges of my
life. Born legally blind from the degenerative eye disease Retinitis
Pigmentosa, I floundered for decades in that misty world between normal
vision and blindness. Too sighted to receive Braille and other
non-visual skills, I was too blind to succeed without them. The
philosophy was: if you could still "see" to read print, you should read
print. It was irrelevant that doing so took obscenely inordinate amounts
of time, resulted in ongoing headaches, meant you had little time for
anything vaguely resembling a normal childhood and that you were doomed
to fall behind academically and socially despite your efforts.

After five years of piano lessons, during which I learned to memorize
music so I wouldn't have to look at it, I found my vision slipping
beyond the point of being able to learn the more complicated pieces my
hands could then play. When I quit, it broke my mother's heart, but no
one had any alternatives. The frustration of trying to keep up and
falling further and further behind was accompanied by the pain of
constant bullying. As it became clear that no help was coming, I
developed a seething resentment and rage.

Surviving in the face of these realities was a matter of keeping this
rage in check. Thoughts unlinked to the here and now were of two kinds
-- fretting over the past and worrying about the future. Neither was
tolerable. I found solace in nature when I filled my mind with awareness
of the present. With no nagging unfinished business and no dire
predictions of what was to come, I could find peace and the possibility
of re-writing the scripts which had been emblazoned in my psyche.

This has enabled me to achieve some success. Graduating from college,
living independently, pursuing my life's work and finding love -- all
things that people assured me were impossible (often in the most
humiliating and public of ways) -- have all happened.

I taught myself to play guitar and began writing music in high school.
Not until I graduated from college did I receive my first guide dog and
teach myself Braille. While in Philadelphia, I recorded three albums of
my songs. My coverage, as a volunteer, of the Carter inauguration marked
the first time national press credentials were awarded to a blind
reporter from a radio reading service for the blind.

I built a career around my music; first as a street performer and later
as a presenter of school assemblies and other music-based programs. I
encouraged others to pursue their dreams and refuse to allow their
circumstances to dictate the outcomes of their lives.

Were there set-backs? Many. It has always been easy for me to fall into
doubt and despair. I am not one of those people for whom the light of
self-assurance burns with an unerring consistency. I don't have a sense
that all will work out well, that I am destined to achieve my goals.
Despite the crushing defeats, however, I remain aware of one simple
reality: I don't want the sad predictions to be true.

In the midst of my successes, my world was threatened. At 40, I found a
lump in my breast. At first, having breast cancer wasn't the problem. I
was working on my third album. We were going to use it to market my
songwriting skills. After surgery and radiation, I returned to the
studio and finished the project. The week after sending the master and
cover art to be transformed into CDs, however, I found a lump in the
other breast. After treatment, I didn't have the funds or energy to run
around Nashville. My dreams were blowing up in my face and I didn't know
how to proceed.

It took years and a move to the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania to
refocus my thinking. I stopped writing music, thinking it would give me
space to envision new possibilities. That only lasted until 9/11. I also
started working on a fantasy novel. That required learning to use a
computer with text-to-speech software.

The computer allowed me to submit an electronic version of one of my
songs to the volunteer-run nonprofit Performing Arts Division (PAD) of
the National Federation of the Blind (NFB). I was asked to donate "The
Edge of the Line" to PAD's "Sound in Sight" project, a multi-genre
compilation of original tracks and covers by blind recording artists,
which funds projects including a scholarship.

I was horrified to realize that things had actually gotten worse for
blind kids since I was in school. In those days, 50% of America's blind
kids learned Braille. Now, it's 10%. Unemployment is 70% for blind
adults. Nonetheless, blind people are successful as lawyers, mechanics,
journalists, chemists, engineers and in many other fields. The
difference is Braille. Of the blind people who work, over 80% read
Braille. Despite the availability of audio books and talking computers
(both wonderful, irreplaceable tools), Braille is the only tool which
can give true literacy to blind people on a par with print.

The shock of realizing that little kids are still suffering as I did
spurred me into action. I soon learned that the skills I had developed
while promoting my music were transferable. Now, as a volunteer PR
person for both PAD and the NFB of PA, I attempt to get the story out
about what blind people can do and the obstacles we face. I also write
for the online magazines American Chronicle and Suite 101. I cover not
only blindness issues but other topics such as wildlife conservation,
health, music and knitting.

My novel is essentially done. Satori Green in the Verdandi Valley is a
place of spiritual/magical awakening for my two heroes -- a couple of
14-year-old refugees, including a girl, who, like me, is a songwriter
dealing with vision loss, prejudice and an irrepressible notion that
physical sight should be unnecessary for social equality.

--
Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 6.15660