[stylist] seeing with your tongue

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 01:59:04 UTC 2010

Dude, this for some reason makes me think of Harry Potter.  Didn't he speak
snake? (grin)  No, in all seriousness though, I think people are generally
well-intentioned in their desire to introduce technology that could help
blind people lead more enjoyable lives, but it's up to us to educate them on
striking a balance between what would be useful and what would be useful and
draw unneeded attention.  I can't comment on the concept of seeing through
tasting, but I do believe that no matter where a blind person is in her
independence skills, ultimately she would want to be socially accepted.
That is, after all, the philosophy of the NFB, to adjust to the challenges
of our environment.  While I am vehemently opposed to the cars for the
blind, I would rather we take the initiative than someone else dictate what
these cars should look like.  In my personal opinion, this is also true of
echolocation.  It might work for some folks, but even in my socially drunken
days you would have never caught me cruising around clucking like a chicken.

Best,

Joe