[stylist] seeing with your tongue

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Aug 27 10:56:41 UTC 2010

On this seeing with your tongue thing. Guess I am of the opinion that if
there is money out there for research and development of alternative sight,
then go for it. And I say this, tongue in cheek, sight is better than being
blind. --- Hold on with the storm of thoughts words and recriminations ---
I'll just explain my last statement by this super generalizing definition-
This world is setup for the sighted and there are fewer hassles if you are
sighted. And so in saying that "having sight is better than being blind,"
and getting back to the general topic of this thread, I support things like
these experimentation "seeing" projects, though many of them will be too
weird and not functional or practical or acceptable for one or more reasons.
Yet, there probably is one or more eventual outcomes that will be equal and
acceptable to "normal" vision and/or even superior to what we were born
with. And I also support any research that could prevent the human embryo
from developing with a medical and/or physical condition that would upon
birth be there or develop blindness later in that persons life. And in
saying all  this, in general I'm saying that I am for eliminating all human
abnormalities, be they hereditary or congenital or even cause later in life
by accidents (repairing the broken part or replacing it).

And so, can we successfully live with blindness? I don't feel I need to tell
you this answer --- you know it and I know it and most of us believe and
live it. Again, I am for improving the human experience; which includes the
personal choice of being blind, if you so choose to be.

Robert Leslie Newman
President- NFB Writers' Division
Division Website
http://www.nfb-writers-division.org