[stylist] stylist Digest, Vol 80, Issue 14

Kerry Thompson kethompson1964 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 21:29:32 UTC 2010

Hi friends,

Sending Lori all my very best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Don't think I'll join the December phone call. I don't think fast enough
to solve puzzles on the spot. Besides, for myself, I'd prefer a nice
chit chat.

By the way, I didn't tell you guys, Chris Kewl accepted a pair of
sestinas for the Spring 2011 issue of Breath and Shadow! *happy dance*
The sestina is a troubadour (French medieval) form. It doesn't rhyme,
but rather is organized around a set pattern of repetition. The two
sestinas that Chris accepted are interrelated, sharing the same set of
repeated words. I was thrilled to sell them, especially as a pair. Can't
wait to see them in print.

For the past several weeks I've been concentrating on songwriting. But,
I guess that's really more the purview of the MusicTalk list. Currently,
I'm struggling with a lyric that just isn't cutting it. The idea is
sound, it seems to me, but the lyric is totally flat. See what you guys
think of it:

If You Change Your Mind

You say that we’re through, I cannot hold you,
Perhaps it’s true, you must do what you choose.

But if you change your mind you will find me still here.
If he’s not what he seems, not the man of your dreams,
I’ll be here to love you again.

You say he’s the one, your only true love.
It may be so. Your heart ought to know what you want.

But if you change your mind you will find me still here.
If he’s not what he seems, not the man of your dreams,
I’ll be here to love you again.

You know I’m not proud.
I’ll always love you, whatever you do,
So, if you should find he’s unkind
And you need me, you just have to call.

But if you change your mind you will find me still here.
If he’s not what he seems, not the man of your dreams,
I’ll be here to take you back in my arms again,
Back to my heart again
If you change your mind.

*sigh* See what I mean? It doesn't flow. It has no depth... And I can't
figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's bugging me.

Of course, most of the stuff I've been working on has gone pretty well.
It's the ones that don't go well that you notice.

Anyway, that's enough of my whining.

Solidarity and Peace,
Kerry