[stylist] Washington Seminar Article

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Wed Feb 10 05:19:21 UTC 2010

I think what they're wanting to do with SSDI is a grand thing.  I wish that
all government programs would work in this fashion.  The way I'd try selling
it to a group that has no clue is for them to consider how much money is
spent on SSDI--make up a small sample of receivers--and then give examples
of how much less could be spent if these people worked and their checks were
lessened.  I though the handout explanation of Jane was very good.  These
people need to understand that a blind person just can't go out and work two
or three jobs as easily as the totally independent sighted person who can
pull their keys out of their pockets and put them in the ignition and take
off in their cars on a whim.  Blind persons have to follow schedules of the
transportation that they can obtain.
Barbara

A Congress that will always do its work in the dark must have something to
hide.  The people have spoken, yet they do not listen.