[stylist] Writing Challenge- The Moons

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Jan 8 21:15:17 UTC 2010

Here is my 461 word "Moon Story" challenge:

"the Moons start talking in thirty minutes," said the masculine voice over
the PA system.

The five friends setting in the neighborhood bar were fascinated by the
notice.

"People's name's can be so interesting. Take that one, 'Moon,'" said Jim,
reaching among the several partially filled pitchers of draft beer, going
for the one that still had frost on its sides. "Especially those that are
--- like are of things or have some significant translation or origin."

"Bet this will be that religious group, that cult." Volunteered Peter.

"I, I --- Na, Na know --- OOPS, spilled," said  Bill, the more inebriated of
the friends grouped around the table.

"Bill, looks like you've got your own 'moon' shaped lake of beer, there,"
interjected Fred; watching Bill's attempt to stem the flow with a 2 inch
square drink napkin.

"Oh you know what it might be?" Volunteered Tom. One of those new reality
shows and the family is the Moons. And, they all are like descendants from
the guy that invented Moon Pies and they live in this round house and."

Jim broke in, "And ha, they all have big moon shaped faces."

"I I --- got one --- OOPS, spilled," said Bill, reaching for more napkins.

"Well," Peter through in, "maybe this is the guy that invented Moon Roofs
for cars. And they'll show his house and the special feature they will zero
in on, is the house's roof, a giant Moon Roof!"

"Ha --- and yeah, the guy is pushing a new concept --- he has a hat that has
the Moon Roof in its crown!" Contributed Fred. "And we'd better order up
some more beer or as busy as it's getting in here, it might be not until
moon rise that we can get the waitresses attention again.

"I, I --- Yah --- more beeer," said Bill. "BURP!"

"Talking about moon names," said Jim, "the other night my wife was watching
an old movie, ah, The Moon Spinners. It had that actress in it, ah --- what
was her name?"

"I, I --- da, da, don't know," said Bill.  "BURP!"

"Hayley Mills," said Tom. "I haven't seen her in any modern stuff. But one
of my favorite movies, with cher in it, and it had Moon in its title, too.
What was it?"

All the guys shook their heads. But Bill said, "I, I --- da, da, don't know
--- BURP! --- But I got one --- do you guys know what a blue moon is?"

"Yeah, that's a second full moon in the same month," said Tom.

"Na, na, no, in, in-correct --- that's not the one," responded Bill, shaking
his head.

"Well?" Prompted Peter.

"It's ah, ah --- a Smurf with his, his, pa, pa, pants down."

Robert Leslie Newman
Email- newmanrl at cox.net
THOUGHT PROVOKER Website-
Http://www.thoughtprovoker.info