[stylist] My Louis Braille Speech

James H. "Jim" Canaday M.A. N6YR n6yr at sunflower.com
Sun Jan 10 06:40:43 UTC 2010

Robert,
"almost exactly what he said?"
James Holman the "blind traveler" [british] adapted another form of
"night writing" but he couldn't read what he had written.

overwhelmingly I thought this was good and well written, nicely
representing Louis Braille as if come back to life.
however:
  places Braille is viewed as a negative symbol, a stigma associated with
the
   unacceptability of blindness. Some educators even say that Braille is slow
   and obsolete, which we know is not true.
   In my research I also found forces for good, groups of people who

the wording and use of language is a little clumsy.
from there to the end, I felt weighing him down with the individual
nfb programs promoting braille use actually detracted from the
overall flow and impact of the speech.  this is because the speech
was so intense and well composed that these particulars seemed to
turn Braille into a huckster.  minor point.  it is important to
remember we're taking a historical figure and putting him into our
time, and for our own devices.
So, those are my comments.  I also appreciated the stage
directions.  Good job Robert!
jc
Jim Canaday M.A.
Lawrence, KS