[stylist] Novel Outlines

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 22:10:26 UTC 2010

The books I'm working on have no outline. However, I type them all up
on my computer. Each book has a older, and within the folder, I have
folders for each character and each setting. For example, one book is
about a girl named Erica who has dreams about a well and who "falls"
into a dark place whenever she has a bad moment...so, I have a folder
called "erica" which contains a description of her physically and
emotionally, a background file that talks about her history before the
book (which starts when she's 16 or 17) and a file that talks about
her connections to other characters. I have a folder for her mother,
who is a big character, and for her sister, another major character.
These folders contain the same basic information about the character.
Then I have a folder about the dream...what is the dream, where does
it come from, how does it affect Erica, etc. Another folder is a
description of Erica's home, one for her town, and one with events of
the times (what's happening in the rest of the world) that I can refer
to for scenes. Since Erica is interested in psychology, I also have a
folder with psychology research, and one about soccer since Erica
plays soccer.

So, no outline, but as you can see, I get pretty organized. Everything
is in folders. Story bits are placed within the main folder with an
appropriate name (ex. Dream- May 8, 1998)...sorta like a journal.
Eventually I will combine like dates and create chapters out of them.
Still in the beginning process, though, and the characters aren't
quite telling me what to do yet.

~Jewel