[stylist] Turkey Update

Newman, Robert robert.newman at nebraska.gov
Thu Jun 3 22:06:30 UTC 2010

Hi you all!

It has been very busy around Istanbul! We arrived on Wednesday the
26th at 5:30 PM local time (left my home at  2:30 PM Tuesday, leaving
from Chicago at 10:20 PM. (There is an eight hour difference between
Omaha and Istanbul (the flight was eleven hours).

Our first days here were doing touristy things- Thursday was shopping
and lunch at the Covered Bazaar and dinner out. Friday was more
touring, the city square, an old famous fire tower, and more shopping
Saturday, after getting things set up for the next day arrival of
students, we had the opportunity to go to a cocktail party on board a
Tall Ship; a replica of an old sailing Brig, just like the one used
in "Pirates of the Caribbean."

We have 30 students; most from the government schools for the blind.
And picture this- many of the staff here who are blind have never
used a cane! (People in their twenties and thirties and have been
lead around all their life's; even to and through a college career).
Today was their third day with a cane and most are loving it; even
had them out   running, climbing ropes and rocs and lots of basic
practice. (Tomorrow we make a kite from scratch and on Monday we go
and fly them.

Other classes are- Braille (most of the blind staff know Braille,
though there isn't much Braille around for them to read). Home making
like cooking and cleaning and like that. Shop- making a Braille cell
for teaching purposes, out of wood. Computer- with most staff sighted
or blind being fairly good computer users. Seminar is big- using
several of my THOUGHT PROVOKERS and some NFB speeches. Our main
purpose is to show  Structured Discovery  Method. (Our philosophy and
method of teaching blindness skills)

Here is the intro to our program that I wrote and was sent out to the
fourteen schools-

WELCOME TO Workshop 2010
  Teachers Are It
A new decade, a new era, a new philosophy and life for the blind of Turkey

For Teachers- a reality, a truth, a challenge

A Reality: Teachers have the opportunity to be the most influential
person in the lives of the blind. The nature of this impact is
dependant upon two major factors- First is The teachers knowledge of
the human potential to successfully live with blindness; your belief
in blind people will be your passion, your guide. Second, it is the
teacher's knowledge and ability to teach the best blindness skills;
teaching a skill will take a student through one task, teaching how
to problem solve and to believe in one's self will take a student through life.

A Truth: Within Turkey, some blind achieve a high measure of
independence, at home, at work and within the community. Let us
increase the number of blind individuals who achieve this goal.

A Challenge: What new heights in life can I as a teacher assist the
blind of Turkey to achieve?

The Program Promise

Over the next 2 weeks you will have the opportunity to learn, what we
the teachers of Blind Corps have found: The most effective teaching
philosophy when instructing blind and visually impaired youth and
adults. Second, the best strategies for teaching blindness skills.
Third, many of the best blindness skills a totally blind and/or
visually impaired person can have. Toward this goal, we will provide
you with written handouts and training equipment, meaningful
discussion on all topics and many opportunities for hands-on
experience. This workshop will be mentally, philosophically
challenging and physically demanding. We believe you will be the
better teacher for it.

What you get out of this training will depend upon your willingness
to apply yourself. Come with an open mind and a willingness to work.
Do not be shy to ask questions, to share your thoughts and if needed,
challenge the Blind Corps team to go the extra step to make a concept
or skill more understandable or workable for you. Our hope is that
you will give a serious effort and try what we ask of you during the
workshop and later to apply it to your profession.

I'll write again as soon as I can

Robert Leslie Newman
Writers' Division President

(Here to June 15th)