[stylist] Writing prompt: Finding the good in the villain

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 15:12:09 UTC 2010

Hi Bridgit,

Thanks for sharing this piece with us. You don't say, but since the main
character's name is the same as yours, I'm assuming this is non-fiction. And
while it is long, it's not really long enough to fully explore both you and
your mother's feelings and emotions around firstly your depression, and
secondly your battle with the unknown virus. Add the complexity of a
mother-daughter relationship, and I think you're going to need an entire
novel to do it justice. Nice job with this limited space, though.

You do shift POV in this exercise, which I found jarring. You start out in
third person from the mother's perspective, then kind of shift to omnicient
with the interactions with the nurse, then settle on first person from your
perspective, wich I think works best. If you were to pursue this--which I
think is a worthwhile, if difficult, endeavor--I'd recommend some outlining
so the narrative moves in a consistent direction.

chris