[stylist] Past Tense Usage Question

loristay loristay at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 19:44:15 UTC 2010

On second review, the past perfect is indicated here in more than one sentence:  Billy Boy and I were watching--is one.  Another is I still had a hard time ...  And the third is he'd always seemed, where he'd is an abbreviation for he had.  But I do maintain that usually one will indicate via the past perfect that the scene is in the past (i.e. not in the present action), and that after that, it isn't as necessary to use the word "had."
Lori