[stylist] Addressing echo location

Jewel S. herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:30:00 UTC 2010

Audio cues are like listening to traffic to hear how far away cars are
and whether they are perpendicular or parallel to you. Also, listening
to where a sound is coming from, such as an audible signal, the beep
of an elevator, or a phone, to find these.

Echolocation is bouncing sound off objects to locat them. For example,
a click is sent to bounce off a car to determine its distance from the
curb.

Echolocation is a very interesting sense, but not widely used as the
only mobility tool. It is usually used in conjugation with the use of
a cane, guide dog, or sighted guide, as well as using audio cues,
tactile cues (like feeling the cracks in the sidewalk as you walk),
and memorized routes.

~Jewel